Monday, August 19, 2013

Home away from home


Friday we decided to try a different restaurant for lunch.  It was fine.  I personally prefer the more traditional Colombian fare than some of the “Americanized” places you find in Villa de Leyva.  That said, we did have a wonderful surprise.  Just across the street was a bakery.  Lattes and cheesecake.  Brownies or chocolate chip cookies for the kids.  The gentleman who I assume is the owner is SO nice and speaks english.  Unlike in the states, this fancy “coffee shop” was very very reasonably priced and we quickly decided it was medicine for the ever increading homesickness.  Because while we are enjoying Colombia very much, we miss home.  A LOT.  After desert for everyone we headed home for the day. 

This weekend was the Wind and Kite Festival in Villa de Leyva.  At first I was very excited about that.  The opportunity to enjoy a Colombian festival.  Unfortunately, we were advised early on that the crowds in town would make it really difficult.  We decided instead to go into town to the open market on Saturday morning.

As I mentioned before, the Saturday market is like a giant farmers market.  Tents all lined up in a HUGE area.  Mostly there are various fruits and vegetables, but there are also clothes, shoes, backpacks, other small items.  When our driver arrived to take us, we expected to go to a restaurant for breakfast.  We had cooked our own breakfast every day, and I was looking forward to trying a traditional Colombian breakfast which often includes a hearty soup.  Instead of going to a restaurant, we were driven to the market.  It turns out that on the back side, there are food tents.  Thanks to our very helpful guide (he is truly wonderful) we made our way to a tent and a table.  We ordered soup and eggs.  The soup was AMAZING.  Potatoes and a large, meaty soup bone… I know it may not sound fabulous, but it was SO good.  The eggs were scrambled with some diced veggies and was served with freshly squeezed orange juice (and hot chocolate for the kids). 

After filling everyone’s tummys it was time to shop.  I have decided that next week I will make note of the prices and do a future blog post on foods complete with pics, but for now, suffice it to the say, it’s very different than home.  We have learned a lot in the week we have been here.  What we like.  What we don’t.  What we can manage to keep fresh at the house.  The electicity is not very reliable.  It doesn’t go out much, but sometimes there is more than others so our fridge gets warm and the oven is tempramental.  Not bad, just different.  We bought oranges and strawberries, peaches these wonderful little plum things.  Bell peppers and potatoes.  Corn (though not exactly like at home).  After picking up what we thought we needed, the kids asked to go to the other tents.  Villa de Leyva is a tourist town so the prices are higher than the neighboring community of Raquira.  I knew that, I had explained it to the boys, but their long accumulated allowance was burning a hole quickly through their pockets.  They ended up settling on backpacks (decently priced I think).  Our girls picked pink ones with hearts J  Finally everyone was happy and ready to go.  After a quick stop at the super market for dry goods, we headed back to wait out the crowds at home.

The past few days have been a bit slow.  No internet, no going anywhere.  Just hanging out.  They deperately wanted to fly kites, but depite the promise of the Kite Festival, we had low wind Saturday and rain Sunday.  We played soccer, went on “walks” up and down the little lane/driveway at the house, and took turns on the hammock.  We watched a couple movies (T LOVES Mulan).  We watched a bit of tv… in english and in spanish (though not much since we are trying to spend time really getting to know each other).  Mostly we just talked and played and settled in.  Our girls are starting to show their real personalities.  The first few days was all “on your best behaviour” for everyone.  This weekend helped loosen everyone up.  L is becoming more and more a mommy’s girl.  The first couple days she was really ALL about Daddy, and don’t get me wrong, she still LOVES Brian, but I am getting more and more of the snugglse, go for walks, time while he is for playing, coloring.. and snuggles too of course.  She LOVES having pics taken of her and I cannot wait to share them.  What a beautiful little thing she is!  T is bright and works to learn english words constantly.  She can get frustrated when the language barrier gets in the way.  Thankfully, between my knowledge and our translation apps that isn’t often.  She is sweet and happy and would listen to music and dance non-stop.  The boys are doing great.  They are all becoming friends quickly.  The ages and personalities seem to mesh very very easily.  Honestly, I am just overwhelmed by how well it’s going.  I brought a  bunch of card games.  Things like “Whack the Mole” and “I Spy” which don’t require english.  I also brough some more complex games knowing the boys would need to stay occupied.  Within just a couple games “T” was jumping right in and ready to play Monopoly.  Yes, she needs help with the english, but I am so impressed.  Such tenacity and never discouraged.  Just WOW. 

Today we finally braved a trip back to town.  It was still SO crowded, but we enjoyed a nice lunch followed by desert.  An outing helped everyone feel less cooped up, and when we got home…. WIND.  The kids flew kites most of the afternoon.  They had a ball.  It was a beautiful day!

Tomorrow we are heading back the Raquira.  The boys insisted before they leave.  Wednesday is Integration.  This is when we tell them “Yes, we are sure” and the girls do the same.  This is a convo had on last Thursday on that subject that I think lets us know very well how they feel…

T “How long till we get to go to the US?”

Me “2-3 weeks hopefully”

L “Mama… 2 weeks.. 2 weeks”

T “2 weeks!” in  a very no-nonsence tone

Pray for us that Sentencia is fast.  There is no way to know, but though we love Colombia, we are all looking forward to going home.  Brian and the boys will leave the end of this week, and we want to follow quickly.  Prayers appreciated. 

More soon…. Getting late and busy day tomorrow… Love to all

3 comments:

  1. So very awesome. We love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading these blogs. Im so anxious to get to meet them soon. Tell the boys I love them. They are wonderful brothers and beautiful souls. You and Brian have done a wonderful job with your family. God has blessed your faith and trust you have put in Him so awesomely. I love you all so much. And thank God for allowing me to be your Aunt. You are beautiful. Kisses and hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete