Monday, November 12, 2012

Christmas the way it should be..or a little closer anyway!

I am one of THOSE people.  You know the ones.  I start listening to Christmas music in September when the first cool snap hits.  I bargain shop year round for that "perfect little something" that will make someone smile.  I am ready to decorate November 1st and it takes me a good couple weeks to get everything out and sparkling.

All that said, I have had a problem coming into "the season" this year because I feel like it has WAY too much emphasis on the getting.  The boys were sending me lists in early October of "I wants".  As you all know, adopting our girls is EXPENSIVE and the idea of trying to keep up with years past in the presents department is overwhelming.  Not to mention that I am just NOT feeling it.  Where is the excitement leading up to Christmas?  Where is the warmth and the joy and the special thankfulness?  Of course our boys know the real reason for Christmas.  We discuss it often and they are reminded frequently, but how can we really convey it if the words aren't followed up by actions that show Christ's love?

So....
I have been doing some research.  I want to make Christmas more about Christ, family, togetherness, giving to others, sharing, and love.  I also want to incorporate some new traditions around the heritage of our daughters still in Colombia.  This is what I have come up with so far.  I will let you know how it is going and detail more as we go.  Some ideas come from friends, some are cultural with a twist, and some are just odds and ends I found and edited from the internet.  If you have any traditions to share, comment on my blog post.  This is turning into a lot of fun.

Idea #1.. Advent Calendar:  I will make my own and every day will have an activity.  Bake Christmas cookies together, cocoa and fudge movie night, Christmas light drive, read a Christmas story etc.  In there I will have a few as "service".  Those special days I will arrange some way we, as a family, can help others.  Visit a nursing home and take cards to the elderly, take cans to the food bank, etc.  I don't have it all planned out yet, but I am working on it.  Will start Dec 2 and end Dec 24.

Idea #2... La Noche de Las Velitas... The Night of the Candles
I am sure you gather this is a Colombian tradition.  Dec 7th is the official start of the Christmas season.  There, whole communities get together and light the roads and homes etc with tall candles.  Whole cities light up. Its and time of worship and prayer and community.  Of course I don't see that happening here to that extent, but we will light our candles on our porch and in our home and pray in thanks for the coming of our saviour. 

Idea #3....Las Novenas
Again this tradition has Colombian roots.  Starting on Dec 16 to Dec 24 communities join together in one home or another and share a portion of the Christmas story, pray, and celebrate.  What a beautiful way to really savor the message of Christ's coming!  Whether we do this at home as a family, or whether I try to get others on board with the 9 nights of celebration remains to be seen.  If you are interested in joining us, let me know.  I am working on getting an english version of how the biblical story is traditionally divided.

Idea #4  A new book on Christmas eve.  A new Christmas story, with the love of Christ at the focus to share together before bed.  There are TONS of them out there. 

Idea #5... The Christmas Angel.... just like the Elf on a Shelf but with a spiritual focus.  I've only seen them once, but I will find one!

So there you have my ideas.... so far.  I am also cutting back on presents, downsizing (by a LOT) our present budget, and making many of the little presents I would normal purchase. 

What do you think?  Any ideas?

Blessings,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment