It's such a busy time of year. The boys are busy with basketball season in full swing, school has all the extra stuff the holidays bring, we spend time with family and friends as much as possible. The music and the lights and the excitement can be contageous. It really is amazing. I've been intentional about taking note of little moments of peace or happiness throughout every day. It was hard at first, and I think it still is a challenge at times when I get busy, but it's easier every day. The way the sun shone through the fog yesterday on the drive to school which was just beautiful... The way Caleb plopped down next to me this morning still half asleep and wanting some snuggles... The fact that listening to Casting Crowns (check them out if your not familiar) is like prayer time in the car lol. Anyway, I have been finding it fun to try to really notice and soak up the little moments life has to offer. To not miss out. It really changes your perspective.
In the interest of adding some Colombian culture to our Christmas in honor of our daughters who are waiting, I made bunuelos on Tueday for Caleb's class. They were having Diversity Day. They turned out not half bad and think I will make more on Saturday for our party along with natilla as the two are generally served together. We also had an interesting conversation the other day. See, Isaiah is only 7 and still believes in Santa. In Colombia, generally children are told Baby Jesus brings the gifts, which are delivered to the foot of the bed, not under the tree. As it's quite possible one of the girls at least could be old enough to have memories of their own traditions, how in the world do we reconcile those two thoughts? Any suggestions? Now that Trent is older, he has mentioned that Santa felt like a lie. If I had to do it over, would I incorporate Santa at all? Hmmmmm... not sure. The joining of secular tradition and the much more important Christian observances can be pretty tricky. Throw another culure in the mix and... Santa may become a completely figurative story next year with no hint at reality. More like the Grinch or Frosty. Just a fun story to read and enjoy in the spirit of Christmas and giving. Keeping Santa solidly in the realm of fantasy? Yeah, maybe... though bursting Isaiah's bubble makes me a little sad :(
On a less introspective note....
Our grant deadline is fast approaching. If you feel led to make a donation on our behalf, we would be ever so grateful!!!! You can do so by going to www.dogwoodcove.com/adopt OR if you would like to donate and get a tax deduction, please email me at shan@dogwoodcove.com and I will get you the address/info of the grant organization. If we don't meet our deadline, we lose the grant funds so this is REALLY important. Thanks for thinking of us. We are so blessed to have such amazing friends and family!
As a fundraiser for Christmas I am selling Breindi Bands. These are FULLY adjustable headbands in a range of colors for girls and women. They are SUPER comfortable, pretty, easy to use and adjust, and the owers of the company are amazing Christian women with a true heart for adoption and for God. If any of the ladies in your life need a stocking stuffer, please email me. I can ship them out same day. They are $14 for a two pack and you can check them out at http://breindibands.com/.
Blessings,
Shannon
No comments:
Post a Comment