Thursday, December 13, 2012

spiritual warfare

I've never given much thought to the concept of spiritual warfare.  I mean, sure, as a woman growing up in the church, I understood the concept.  I even believed it could exist.  However, I just never gave it much thought.  You know.  I was one of THOSE Christians.  Luke warm.  Going through the motions.  Believing.  Being a good person.  But never putting myself out there in a way that would draw negative attention from Satan. 

Then an event came that changed my life as a Christian.  It wasn't a happy event either.  I was forced to take a stand for my personal faith and convictions OR intentionally turn away from what I KNEW God wanted from me.  Taking a stand cost me a relationship.  A REALLY REALLY important relationship with someone I love.  It was incredibly hard to make that choice.  Here's the deal though.  Once I made the choice.  Once I said, "Ok, I choose YOU God" my life has just not been the same. 

Then over the coarse of the past year, I started feeling nudged again about adoption.  I have felt these nudges most of my life, but this time the nudge became a push and instead of knowing that this is what God wanted from me someday, I KNEW it was something He wanted NOW.  Brian felt it too.  It was undeniable what we were SUPPOSED to do, but would we do it?  Could we do it?  When the day came and we took the leap, we really had no idea what we were taking on.  See, living a lukewarm life for Christ doesn't draw that negative attention BUT stepping off the ledge in faith and doing what God is calling you to without a safety net, without the ability to see it through alone, and yet jumping anyway.... apparently that DOES get some attention.

We have talked about how over the past 9 months, whenever something good is coming, whenever something is moving for us in process, it is proceeded by trials.  Little stuff sometimes just making your day harder.  Sometimes bigger things that take the wind from your sails.  However, we have discovered the pattern.  God's faithfulness always wins out.  The hard times are ALWAYS followed by exactly what we were needing in that moment.  Whether it is financial, emotional, or spirtitual, our needs are met at the moment we need it most. 

The last two weeks have been HARD!!!  Everything from colds, to fundraisers falling through, to a massive water leak which is going to cost us a HUGE water bill.  If I told you all of the crazy stuff that has happened these past two weeks it would take an hour to type it all.  Seriously.  I told Brian on Tuesday that I really felt like I just couldn't cope with one more thing this week.   My faith was strong, my heart weary.  Then today I get an email that basically says our adoption could take MUCH MUCH longer than expected.  My first reaction was tears.  Lots of them.  Second was the frustration of not knowing exactly what was going on.  Third was the feeling of being buried under the weight of just ONE. MORE. THING.   So... I went to church and I prayed.  I contacted my prayer warriors and they prayed.  I put on Casting Crowns and let their music fill my soul with praises.  Through all of these things, I heard one message.... God's got this.  I don't know what will happen next.  We should find out tomorrow more information.  However, instead of feeling tonight like I can't handle one more thing, I feel like God can handle it all.  And I know one more thing.  Something great is just around the corner because Satan is REALLY trying to stop us or slow us down.  But he won't!!!!  That just has to make you smile, right?

Now, I ABSOLUTELY believe in spiritual warfare.  Put yourself out there for God and Satan will fight back.  However, if I have learned one thing in the past few months, it is that God always always comes out on top.  Am I still a little stressed about the paperwork issue?  OF COURSE!  I am human!  But in my moments of weakness, I know I am never alone.  And I know if I stay the course, follow God's lead, none of the crap Satan throws at us will matter when we bring our daughters home. 

One more unrelated thing....
It's so easy to be caught up in our own lives.  However, I was reminded tonight that the hurt and pain of others should always be at the forefront of our thoughts and prayers.  Please pray tonight for my cousin's mother battling cancer for the second time and for her family reeling from today's diagnosis. 

Blessings,
Shannon
www.dogwoodcove.com/adopt

No comments:

Post a Comment