I've been wanting to blog for months now, but it all seems so strange. What is too personal for my daughters to share with the world? What is too hard for me? What is too trivial that no one would want to read it anyway. So I think of writing and then put it off. Then something happened yesterday that made me just have to share.
Wednesdays currently are crazy busy after school. I pick the 4 older kids up, run home, drop off school stuff, gather together homework to take with us, grab Caleb's archery gear, then run again. After dropping Caleb off at 4, we have about an hour to kill before heading to church for Wednesday Night Alive dinner and classes. What we do during our hour depends, but this week I had no necessary errands. I decided to take the kiddos to the mall to get notebooks for them to use during church service. Like all kids, sermons aren't their favorite part of Sunday morning. However, the "can I have a piece of paper, hand me a pencil" stuff makes it REALLY hard to listen. Dollar Tree was our destination. When we got to the mall, I was asked by child #1 for a new pullover. I knew I had a coupon AND knew winter stuff was on clearance so off we went to one of the little mall stores. Every mom knows what's next. Child #1 is browsing and trying on, all the while children #3,4,5 are touching, "mommy look", wondering a little further than comfort. All in all, everyone was fine, my sanity intact. I took the pullover to the register not too frazzled, paid (with a couple little come closer to me comments in the middle), and we headed for the door. Trent steps outside and just as I am getting to the door with the younger kids, one of the sales people, a girl maybe 22, stops me.
Girl, "Excuse me, can I talk to you for a minute."
Me, "Sure." (in my head trying to think of anything the kids may have done to cause a problem)
Girl, "I don't know what this means, I hope you do, but I am supposed to tell you that what you do is something many women can't."
Me.... rather confused blank stare
Girl, nervously trying to find the words, "God sees you every day at home, He wanted me to tell you that and that you are doing what many women can't. I don't know what it means, do you?"
Me, starting to cry, "Maybe, thank you."
We left the store. Isaiah is all "mom, what WAS that?!?" After drying my tears, I explained God uses people sometimes to pass of messages. I just never expected it to happen to me, at least not like that.
This journey of parenthood is tough stuff at times. This journey of adoption is... well, it's kind of unexplainable. Of course we all have doubts when we are parenting our bio kids. Am I doing this right? Am I helping them grow into kind, God-loving people? Should I be more strict/less strict? Take all of that and compound it a thousand times with little people who have been hurt more than most of us will in our lifetime during their short years. With children who have unanswerable questions. Children who are braver and stronger and tougher than any child should be. It's really hard to know what is right. So, yeah. I know what He meant. I am positive I am not doing everything right, but apparently I am doing what I should be. Trying... That's really good to know.
To the girl who stopped me in the mall yesterday, who listened to her heart and bravely stopped a woman with four kids in tow to pass on a message she didn't understand, you are my hero. May I be willing to put myself out there whenever and however God calls. The message you gave me lifted my spirit, but the obedience to God you showed humbled my heart. God bless you for both.
I do think God wants me to share this experience with all of you. Instead of questioning, I with take a strangers lead and put it out there..... Re-entering the blogosphere.
No comments:
Post a Comment