Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Language barrier at it's finest... and funniest

Hey folks,
I know it's been... well... forever.   I have SO much to share and don't feel like there is any possible way.  The first week home was just a fog and week 2 wasn't much better.  Since then it's been trying to dig out of the mess plus doctor appointments and English practice, etc etc etc.

Tonight though, a SERIOUS funny.  I just had to share.

A bit of background to help set the scene.
We live on a farm.  We have chickens, goats, and dogs, three of which are in the house.  Tatiana has claimed one of my little house dogs, Spot, as hers and he thinks she is wonderful.  One of the things the girls greatly enjoy is gathering the eggs.  For two city girls they are settling into life on the farm very well.

So... a couple days ago we were gathering the eggs.  I have WAY to many roosters and they were pestering Tatiana making it hard on her to get the eggs.  I told her that after next weekend it wouldn't be so hard because Uncle Jeff was going to come get the "hombre pollos" (man chickens).  She asked why with a perplexed look.  I hadn't thought about it much and told her they are going to eat them.  She looked at the hombres with shock and was just flabbergasted.  Not upset, just surprised.  I explained that we had too many and that chickens are good to eat.  She seemed satisfied and that was that.

Fast forward to bedtime tonight. 

Laying in bed she asked me if Uncle Jeff came today and got the hombres to eat.  I said, "no, on Saturday".  In a sad voice she said "they will eat the hombres?".  I said yes, reminding her that she loves chicken and explained that only the mujeres (ladies) lay eggs and that the hombres will fight if there are too many.  She laid there in quiet contemplation for a few seconds and then her eyes landed on Spot sleeping on her blanket... and then she quietly and with great trepidation asked.... "HOT DOG?"

HAHAHA

Poor baby!

Needless to say, we had a long conversation about what animals we eat and what animals we don't.  How much we love our pets.  What is a hot dog (I said chicken and beef.. close enough, right?).  

And then I chuckled to myself after she was tucked in bed.  I really need to explain some things better!

Love to all!  More soon.... promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment