Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What I see

When I close my eyes, what do I picture our family looking like when our adopted children join us? 

Had you asked that question 9 months ago when we decided to move forward I would've pictured your typical all American family you would see on a postcard.  Smiling faces, healthy bodies, exactly what we have now only plus two. 

Then in June when we actually signed the first papers and made a commitment to Colombia we discussed more specifically "special needs".  There were things we said we would consider, others we said we wouldn't, but still in my head was this image.  After all, who knowingly and willingly takes on a situation that is guaranteed to make your life more challenging?  The needs we were considering seemed so overcomable and the likelihood that we would/could end up with a "normal" child so possible, that if I am completely honest, I still pictured that beaming, smiling, healthy, easy family.

Over the past few months ... 

Awhile back I saw a video.  My image started changing subtly as it played.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rztYMMhMT2Y
As it played, I cried, and I kept thinking that THAT is what our family should look like.  I was inspired by them, and I haven't stopped thinking about those children since or the parents who saw past the obvious.  The potential unlocked with love and family.
"There is no physical thing that you can buy that's actually gonna give you true peace and happiness.  And the pure joy that will come from a rescue and a ransom of a child's life is probably the most satisfying thing you can imagine."
As I watched those kids, and I thought about what God was placing in front of us, the picture in my head shifted a bit. 

Since that time, we were asked to compile a list of all the needs we would consider and it was suddenly more and bigger and broader.  Now as I close my eyes and ask myself "what do I picture our family looking like when our adopted children join us?", I see challenges and changes along with the smiles.  I don't know what needs our new children will have.  Every person, everywhere, has unique needs.  What I do know is that God has softened and opened our hearts.  As I look at the waiting kids list, I see potential where I wouldn't have seen it before.  Every child is born with a perfect soul.  Please pray for us that when our agency sends us information, we can see what God sees in each child.  And that He leads us to the children who will be PERFECT for our families, imperfections and all. 

We have the next payment due January 31st.  Please consider what even a dollar can do.  We need $2,865 by then.  Your love, prayers, and support are so appreciated.
www.dogwoodcove.com/adopt

No comments:

Post a Comment