Sunday, March 3, 2013

In between

This morning at church after our family walked forward and took communion Isaiah took my seat next to Brian.  As I sat down, he exclaimed with a wide grin and pure happiness, "Now I am in between."  He then took one of Brian's hands and one of mine, bringing them together in his lap so that we could hold hands.  As he wrapped his little hands around ours linked together, his joy was practically palpable.  As I smiled at my youngest son, I was very aware that every child SHOULD experience the love of mom and dad and being "in between", wrapped in love, comfort, joy, peace, safety.  How many children out there are missing that love?  How many children have never experienced that feeling of safety?  How many children have never been "in between" two parents who are devoted to each other and their family?

We are blessed with three amazing sons who have never spent a moment without the assurance of complete adoration by both their parents, united as one.  We are watching our group of friends add children to their families in various ways.... an explosion of little ones who WILL experience the joy of family, families growing in Christ.  As I ponder the expansion of our own family, I think of the two little girls who hopefully will become Hardesty's later this year.  I wonder what love they have experienced, and what pain born of hard places and abandonment that has broken their little hearts.  I worry over hurts left uncomforted, hugs not given, words of encouragement never said.  I pray for their past and their present.  And I pray that God is comforting their spirits until the moment we can tell them,
"You are an orphan no more. You are loved, you are ours. You have a place in between.   Forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment